Apple dumplings were prepared as a variant of a meatless dish in the season of a large apple harvest during autumn or later in winter, when the supply of apples was still sufficient. It was possible to eat them as a main course or as a sweet dessert.
- 2 eggs
- 200 g coarse flour
- Drinkable water for cooking dumplings
- 10 g of salt
- 500 g of apple
- 100 g of butter
- 100 g of curd cheese 100 g of sour cream
- We make a soft dough from flour and eggs that does not stick to us.
- Peel the apples and cut them into quarters.
- Roll out the dough into a thin pancake, which we cut into squares of approx. 5 x 5 cm.
- We wrap the sliced apples in the formed squares and cook in salted boiling water.
- Cook for approximately 5 minutes. Cooked dumplings are served with cottage cheese, sour cream, sprinkled with powdered sugar and poured with melted butter.
This recipe for apple dumplings uses so-called noodle dough in its preparation – the same ingredients are used to make homemade soup noodles.
Depending on the variety of regions, it is also possible to meet potato or cottage cheese dough. Instead of apples, any seasonal fruit, such as pears or plums, can be used as a filling. For a healthier option, sour cream can be replaced with white yogurt.